We are currently redesigning the Lewis International Law Center at the Harvard Law School to create a 21st century learning and work environment. The space will be inhabited by students, faculty, and staff, as well as research affiliates and law clinic clients.
The original modernist building, designed in 1959 by Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson, & Abbott, is modernized with a new entrance, increased teaching and office space, a new circulation system, and a high-performance facade. Metal and glass additions complement the original limestone, metal, and glass palette, creating a subtle dialog between old and new. An additional floor is built on top of the building and formerly opaque walls are opened up with glass to bring natural light into the core of the building.